© 2018 by MURROW ART PATRONS.

Tel: 718-258-9283 | Fax: 718-252-2611

Murrow Art Patrons

Edward R. Murrow High School, Room 438

Parent Meeting Minutes

October 17, 2018

 

  1.  Call to Order:  After a period of being locked out of the meeting room (Due to an errant key removed with the furniture in which it had been stashed) the meeting commenced with Gilbert Flores, Kerry Sullivan, Nell Mermin, Janine Sopp, Christina Grdovic, and Signy Kolbein in attendance.

  2.   Minutes from previous meeting were accepted into the record.

  3.  President’s Report/Old Business:

  4.  MAP Logo:  Co-President, Gilbert, talked at some length about the development of the MAP Logo, which he hopes can be used on various items (banners/signage/t-shirts) to help brand and publicize MAP in its efforts to support the Art Institute.  The submitted Logos were shared, and there followed some discussion about whether students should be enlisted in the effort. The discussion concluded with the observation that as a parent-led organization it was likeliest most efficient and most appropriate to have parents supply the Logo design and marketing materials. Signy offered to help.

  5.   Calendars:  Gil spearheading the campaign to get art work submitted by 11/7 for production of the Art Institute Calendar.  Gil was in discussion with Ms. Holcomb to get submissions, and there was talk about conferring with last year’s compilers for assistance.

  6.   PTA Breakfast & Orientation Night:  a general summing up of the event.  T-shirts and hoodies were sold, and emails of MAP parents were collected.  A total of $775 was registered, which includes revenue from shirt sales, MAP donation collection, and some “money owed” from last Spring’s Art Fair.  Hope was expressed for an itemized breakdown.

  7.   Email Compilation:  Co-President, Kerry, reported that efforts were moving ahead in getting together contact information for the parents of students in the Art Program. Spy and the Institute’s art teachers were effectively working toward an October 20th deadline.

  8.   Art Show Timeline:  Kerry developed a timeline with the goal of ensuring that all deliverables would be available in time to support events.  The concept and her efforts were approved and supported.

  9.   Open Studio:  Most of the discussion focused on the need and interest in boosting attendance.  In addition to urging participants of the Art Institute to attend with their families

  10. It was noted that might be interested in getting an inside look into the goings on of the Art Institute, and that Kerry might resend news of the event to the list she developed of PT coordinators at Brooklyn Middle Schools.

  11. Kerry expressed intention to update from last year to be used to announce this year’s event to local media.

  12. Coordination was urged with the goal of using events in talent areas to support one another. Kerry mentioned being able to “stuff” postcards about the Open Studio into playbills for the theater performance.

  13.  Grants:  A substantial source of last year’s monies were made through successful grant applications.  Kerry consulted with a grant-writing friend who gave advice about customizing the ask, and Mari sent a list of potential donors.

  14.   Treasurer’s Report: the $750 mentioned earlier

  15.   New Business

  16.  Freshman meet & greet

  17. Zoe, who was unable to attend the meeting, had forwarded through the co-Presidents a detailed proposal for a Freshman/Senior meet and greet to be held the following week.While the intentions of the event sounded great, the turn-around time felt too tight, and there was some concern about the probable attendance.The committee wondered if there might need to be some additional push, whether through teachers or through “carrots” to draw students who might otherwise be reluctant to attend.

  18. There was some discussion about trying to tie into the School’s Instagram account to get out word about the Art Institute.

  19.  Kerry and Gil are interested in surveying the students of the Art Institute to make sure that MAP is meeting their needs and see if there are ways in which the parents can better support their program.

  20.  Adjournment: at long last (around 8:30 pm) we were adjourned.

September MAP Minutes

Murrow Art Patrons

Edward R. Murrow High School, Room 438

Parent Meeting Minutes

September 16, 2019

Agenda 
Call to Order
Approval of Minutes
President’s Report 
Treasurer’s Report
 
Old Business

  1. June Art Show – Report on earnings & successes/non-successes

  2. Freshman Lunch Meet & Greet with all classes – Decide on date

  3. Postcards – Share status

  4. Teacher weekly meetings – Can MAP attend?

  5. Grants – New members

  6. After school art program – Could one be added & supported by MAP?

  7. List of free teen programs – Update on list

 
New Business

  1. Open Studio – Decide on date & form committee

  2. Off-Site Art Show – Ideate & form committee

  3. Call for any new ideas 

 

Adjournment
  
Next meeting will be held on Oct 21st, 2019

Web Design Help Needed

Not a huge commitment of time especially for someone who knows what they are doing (not me ;-P). Just a few edits to keep our website fresh. Please email contact@murrowartpatrons.org if you can help.

Volunteers Needed

We will need volunteers to help staff the Freshman welcome lunch and the middle school auditions - dates TBD. For the auditions we will be selling breakfast items so calling all bakers!

Meeting Notes

To access minutes from previous meetings please visit out website.

Grant Writers Needed

Please join our stellar grant writing team! Even if you're not a writer we can use help investigating organizations. This avenue is simply the most lucrative for the Art Institute and we welcome all hands on deck! Please email contact@murrowartpatrons.org if you can lend a hand.

Save our Meeting Dates (now on Mondays) 6:30 to 8:00 in Room 438

Sept 16th
Oct 21st
Nov 18th
Jan 13th
March 2nd
March 30th
April 27th
June 1st