© 2018 by MURROW ART PATRONS.

Tel: 718-258-9283 | Fax: 718-252-2611

Murrow Art Patrons

Edward R. Murrow High School, Room 438

Parent Meeting Minutes

October 17, 2018

 

  1.  Call to Order:  After a period of being locked out of the meeting room (Due to an errant key removed with the furniture in which it had been stashed) the meeting commenced with Gilbert Flores, Kerry Sullivan, Nell Mermin, Janine Sopp, Christina Grdovic, and Signy Kolbein in attendance.

  2.   Minutes from previous meeting were accepted into the record.

  3.  President’s Report/Old Business:

  4.  MAP Logo:  Co-President, Gilbert, talked at some length about the development of the MAP Logo, which he hopes can be used on various items (banners/signage/t-shirts) to help brand and publicize MAP in its efforts to support the Art Institute.  The submitted Logos were shared, and there followed some discussion about whether students should be enlisted in the effort. The discussion concluded with the observation that as a parent-led organization it was likeliest most efficient and most appropriate to have parents supply the Logo design and marketing materials. Signy offered to help.

  5.   Calendars:  Gil spearheading the campaign to get art work submitted by 11/7 for production of the Art Institute Calendar.  Gil was in discussion with Ms. Holcomb to get submissions, and there was talk about conferring with last year’s compilers for assistance.

  6.   PTA Breakfast & Orientation Night:  a general summing up of the event.  T-shirts and hoodies were sold, and emails of MAP parents were collected.  A total of $775 was registered, which includes revenue from shirt sales, MAP donation collection, and some “money owed” from last Spring’s Art Fair.  Hope was expressed for an itemized breakdown.

  7.   Email Compilation:  Co-President, Kerry, reported that efforts were moving ahead in getting together contact information for the parents of students in the Art Program. Spy and the Institute’s art teachers were effectively working toward an October 20th deadline.

  8.   Art Show Timeline:  Kerry developed a timeline with the goal of ensuring that all deliverables would be available in time to support events.  The concept and her efforts were approved and supported.

  9.   Open Studio:  Most of the discussion focused on the need and interest in boosting attendance.  In addition to urging participants of the Art Institute to attend with their families

  10. It was noted that might be interested in getting an inside look into the goings on of the Art Institute, and that Kerry might resend news of the event to the list she developed of PT coordinators at Brooklyn Middle Schools.

  11. Kerry expressed intention to update from last year to be used to announce this year’s event to local media.

  12. Coordination was urged with the goal of using events in talent areas to support one another. Kerry mentioned being able to “stuff” postcards about the Open Studio into playbills for the theater performance.

  13.  Grants:  A substantial source of last year’s monies were made through successful grant applications.  Kerry consulted with a grant-writing friend who gave advice about customizing the ask, and Mari sent a list of potential donors.

  14.   Treasurer’s Report: the $750 mentioned earlier

  15.   New Business

  16.  Freshman meet & greet

  17. Zoe, who was unable to attend the meeting, had forwarded through the co-Presidents a detailed proposal for a Freshman/Senior meet and greet to be held the following week.While the intentions of the event sounded great, the turn-around time felt too tight, and there was some concern about the probable attendance.The committee wondered if there might need to be some additional push, whether through teachers or through “carrots” to draw students who might otherwise be reluctant to attend.

  18. There was some discussion about trying to tie into the School’s Instagram account to get out word about the Art Institute.

  19.  Kerry and Gil are interested in surveying the students of the Art Institute to make sure that MAP is meeting their needs and see if there are ways in which the parents can better support their program.

  20.  Adjournment: at long last (around 8:30 pm) we were adjourned.

January MAP Minutes

Murrow Art Patrons

Edward R. Murrow High School, Room 438

Parent Meeting Minutes

January 16,  2019

1) Call to Order:  After a period of being locked out of the meeting room, the meeting commenced with Gilbert Flores, Kerry Sullivan, Judith Velosky, Angela Pruitt, Mari Sakaji, Elizabeth Gavieres, Zoe Gaby and Nell Mermin in attendance.

 

2) Minutes from 11/14/18 meeting were accepted into the record.

 

3) President’s Report/Old Business:

 

A.  December Open Studio:  Co-President, Gilbert, reviewed Open Studio successes: Increased attendance in a variety of aspects -- those who attended seemed to stay longer, Principal Barge attended, a reporter was sighted as well a couple of middle schoolers.  The student-led printmaking demonstration was quite successful (well attended, and of interest.)  He noted that all the homemade food was sold out (chili and hummos plates).  It was noted that Janine’s press release was likely what brought the reporter, and that the outreach to Middle School P/T coordinators likely brought the middle schoolers. 

 

Ideas to improve the event:  Get out the press release earlier, have the flier include more information about workshops, possibly increase the number of workshops, and at the event itself, use a sandwich board to post information/timing about workshops and events, as well as signage to direct parents/attendees to various locations.  It was suggested we increase the amount of homemade food, and provide a homemade drink as well (increase the ratio of homemade to pre-packaged goods)

 

Do we want to move the event earlier?  Were we able to move the event prior to the Holidays, workshops and sales could tie into Holiday gift giving, and the event could also be used as an Informational opportunity for prospective middle schoolers and their parents.  The potential obstacles are whether the teachers/students would be ready to present work at that time, that it’s a busy time of year, and that it is likely that MAP/Spy would need to begin to plan the event in the Spring for the following Fall.  Kerry to email Spy with the timing question for her/teachers’ consideration.

 

B) MAP Logo Status:  Jennifer was not in attendance, so revisions of logo/banner were not shared.

 

C) Grants:  The grant writing process has begun.  Various means for soliciting funds were discussed.  Nell reported that Borough President Eric Adams’ funds are predominately for capital projects (budgeted over $35k) She is investigating the possibility of getting a request onto District 39’s Expense Fund Participatory Budgeting ballot.  Kerry is emailing Spy to clarify how the supplies would be utilized, and which supplies are of most pressing need.  Angela is investigating whether she can get the requests listed on Donor’s Choose, whether the teachers themselves listing, or with MAP assistance.  Kerry, meanwhile, shared a link to Guidestar, which reportedly lists a vast number of potential foundations.  Angela and Nell are looking to update the general letter, which would then be tailored to specific foundations.

 

D) Calendar:  Timing snafus prevented the creation of the planned calendar. In response, it was suggested that selected Junior/Sophomore and Freshman art prepared for the June Art Show be photographed for the following year’s calendar, which could then be supplemented by the incoming year’s Freshman and start-of-the-year Senior work.

 

E) Increase Participation:  How to increase participation among Freshman parents/engage MAP parents/make sure everyone feels “in the loop”

 

F) New Printer for Art Department: PTA distributed funds which allowed for purchase of new printer.

 

G) Donations: Kerry to send out email blast soliciting donations from MAP families

 

4 ) Treasurer’s Report: This year’s two bake sales yielded profits of $233, and $383, and the Open Studio yielded $705 (including a $100 donation) 

 

Apparently last year’s bake sales and Open Studio yielded $400 more.

Gil suggested the lack of new t-shirt (and hoodies) may account of some of the disparity in sales, and mentioned that Spy is hoping for a new logo (and t-shirt.)

 

 

5) New Business (conducted quite hurriedly as adjornment was approaching rapidly.)

            A) Mixer: Suggested we table the plan til next year.

B) New Bake Sale Opportunity: Gil wondered at the possibility of a Marathon Day bake sale.

            c) June Art Show

  • Kerry to email proposed timeline for group approval

  • Levis: A sponsor in the show in the past, needs to be approached.Volunteer needed.Kerry has information.

6.  Adjournment: Gil adjourned the meeting at 8:00.